Sunday, November 19, 2006





Sylke's Recovery
Wednesday, 11 October 2006
Today I caught Sylke 'squatting' - supporting herself on her hind feet in a semi- sit. Those legs are coming back slowly but surely. I cannot wait for the day when I can walk her again!!
The vet mentioned during a urinalysis on her so today at lunch I brought home a container and when I expressed her bladder I did a catch and took it to work. I did a dipstick test on it and PRESTO! Her urine is fine - no white blood cells or red blood cells to indicate infection, the ph is fine, no protein to indicate infection. So I called the vet's office and let them know that her urine is clear. No need for cultures or anything at this time!! WOO HOO for Sylke!!
Posted by sylkegirl at 6:15 PM EDT
Updated: Wednesday, 11 October 2006 6:19 PM EDT

Tuesday, 10 October 2006
I heard back from the vet today. She had just spoken to the neurologist at Michigan State. As I thought they are going to give Sylke 10 more days of steroids, switching her from dexamethazone to prednisone. No more than that as at that point steroids can have the opposite effect and impede healing which I knew. He also recommended I do ROM every day (check - been doing that since I came home along with massage and acupressure), keep her quiet for 5 more weeks (check - planned on doing that) and at some point do a UA to make sure she doesn't have a bladder infection from stagnating urine in her bladder. I agreed with that, but I've had Sylke on prophylactic antibiotic since she came home because at first I knew she wasn't emptying her bladder completely and I knew this might be an issue. I had read about prophylactic antibiotics on the handicapped dog site I was frequenting and just did that on my own. I am also going to start her on cranberry to protect the integrity of her urinary tract. She is urinating well on her own now, but am going to do a catch and drop it off just to be sure anyway.




The vet continues to be amazed at Sylke's recovery and when I told her she thumped her tail last night while I was massaging her she was again surprised. The first day I took Sylke in to the vet when she was first paralyzed I'm pretty sure the doctor figured her only hope was none but euthanasia.




It is surprising all the people who are continuing to inquire about Sylke's health status - the doctors at work, my coworkers and friends and so many people are rooting for my girl. I thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers and positive energy. I think it is all helping along with my diligence to her health care in aiding her rapid and amazing recovery!! Thank you all!!
Posted by sylkegirl at 5:57 PM EDT



Monday, 9 October 2006
I spoke with Sylke's vet this morning, explained everything I have been doing for Sylke and the supplements I have her on. I asked her about keeping her on the steroids a bit longer. The vet's response? "I'm not really sure, to tell you the truth any dog I've ever dealt with in this situation either had surgery or was euthanized." She is amazed with Sylke's recovery and she is going to call the verterinary neurologist at Michigan State University and get his opinion on the steroids. I'm just waiting for a call back from her this afternoon. Hee hee - she really sounds amazed that Sylke is regaining sensation and movement and has regained bowel and bladder control. I guess she underestimated the will and spirit of my gal, Sylke.




Did not hear from the vet today - but then I suppose the Neurologist at the Michigan State veterinary school probably has lots of messages to replay to. I am looking forward to what he has to say about Sylke though.




I will mention this though - tonight Sylke grabbed a stuffed squeaky toy and gave it a good beating - she is definitely back to her old tude!!




7:25 p.m. - and guess what!!! Tonight when I was doing Sylke's massage and acupressure - she moved her tail - picked it up and slapped it down!! I want nothing more than to see her carry her tail up in the air as she used to do




Posted by sylkegirl at 12:51 PM EDT
Updated: Monday, 9 October 2006 7:37 PM EDT
Sunday, 8 October 2006
Sylke was up at the crack of dawn. I am amazed how, in under two weeks, she has recovered. When she was first injured, she was very depressed, her body seemed bloated and she was miserable. That Friday I brought her home from the vet's, I thought I would be spending my weekend saying goodbye to her for I figured there was no other choice but to have her put down. But her attitude, determination and spirit showed me otherwise. Anyone who thinks dogs are one dimensional, simple creatures has no clue about the true nature and spirit of dogs. They are capable of perceiving and reacting to much more than they are given credit for. Observing Sylke's fight for recovery, the behavior of the other girls around her, how gentle they are as they understand something is not right with her, is amazing. First thing this morning, she again tried to instigate a game of bitey face with her sister Ava who had sat down beside her. Her body seems much more trim and she definitely has regained her sass, she never lost her pride and spirit.
I am amazed by Sylke, couldn't love that dog more if I had raised her from a pup and am honored to have her as a friend and companion and to be able to assist her through her trials. I have learned much from her and about dogs and myself as well through this experience.
Posted by sylkegirl at 7:03 AM EDT

Saturday, 7 October 2006
Saturday Evening
Well, Miss Sylke has quickly caught on to her new feeding schedule. I feed her two small meals a day due the fact her bowels move slower and she knows by 6:00 she is due her second meal! She was barking and calling to me and when I checked on her she was sitting up, ears pricked with anticipation. I took her 'snack' to her and then she was fine!! Such a clever girl!!
She likes being near to me, she pestered until I made her a bed in the kitchen while I did the dishes this p.m. She continues to amaze me, her intelligence and will. This from the scrawny, skinny dog I got from the pound just over a year and half ago. She sure has come a long ways - even despite her recent injury. This is a dog with a huge heart and a definite purpose.
Posted by sylkegirl at 6:53 PM EDT
Updated: Saturday, 7 October 2006 7:38 PM EDT



Saturday at last - we lounged in bed this morning and watched a movie and didn't get up till 8:00 a.m. Felt good to relax for a while, I needed a day off, bad!!




Sylke ate her breakfast with gusto - then she kept whining so we went out and she did her business outside!! That is great because it cuts down on the diaper situation. Ava went out with us and walked right along side her sister - for support?? - who knows but she stayed beside Sylke the whole time we were outside.




I noticed that Syke is trying to bear weight on her right rear leg, though I am hesitant to let her since the rear left leg is pretty weak, though I see her trying to swing it when she walks. I don't think the imbalance of bearing weight on one rear leg would do her fragile spine any good.
She wanted to lie under the white pine this morning, but only for a short time - it is rather brisk outside this morning. But she had a good time sniffing the deer tracks in our yard - something we don't often get here in town. Now she is relaxing in the livingroom on a bed; she likes to be out in the midst of activity when I am home.




She is very bright and alert, barking when the other girls bark and really wanting to run to the livingroom when a car goes by, which of course I have to stop her from trying.
All in all, her recovery is progressing exceptionally well.




Later on:
We went outside to enjoy the beautiful day - Sylke wanted to go all over the yard - the other girls played fetch, the neighbor girl took Betsy for a walk. Everyone had a great time and enjoyed the beautiful day - and now its naptime





Sylke enjoying the sunshine in the backyard
Posted by sylkegirl at 8:45 AM EDT
Updated: Saturday, 7 October 2006 2:36 PM EDT

Friday, 6 October 2006
Tonight it was beautiful out - mild and sunny. When I got home I took all the girls out. Sylke was happy to get out and lie in the grass while I played fetch with Ava and Trinka. Then, Sylke wanted to go for a walk - all the way down to the very back of the yard, so away we went. It is her favorite part of the yard - lots of good sniffing which is exactly what she did. Even ate a little grass. Then we walked back up to the big white pine which is shedding its older needles right now. They make a soft fragrant bed under the tree, which is her favorite hangout, so she laid there for a while enjoying the evening while I strolled around with Ava and played a little more fetch. Then Sylke decided it was time to come back in. She is swinging both her rear legs well at the hips, but her feet still knuckle under. But she is giving it a good honest try to move. I'm sure its going to take quite some time for a complete recovery, if it is in the cards for her.
Posted by sylkegirl at 6:11 PM EDT



Updated: Friday, 6 October 2006 8:05 PM EDT
Thursday, 5 October 2006
Oct. 5th

When I came home from work yesterday Sylke was sitting up and acting like a giddy pup! I didn't realize what was up until I lifted her with her sling and she started 'walking' with her rear legs!! She is regaining more sensation and movement!! I took her outside and she 'walked' those hindlegs. Of course, she cannot stand on them and I do not allow her to try; her feet are quite lame yet and I do not want to run the risk of her reinjuring herself when she has made so much progress so rapidly. But I am very excited for her - and apparently so is she.
Unfortunately, this morning her left leg was not moving as it was yesterday, but these things take time. I have faith in her that more mobility will return.
Posted by sylkegirl at 6:10 PM EDT

Wednesday, 4 October 2006
She Moved!
Last night I read a bit about massage and accupressure for dogs. I tried it for a while on Sylke and after I had massaged her for a bit, she moved. She stretched out her left rear leg very slowly and then moved it forward. We are going to be very diligent with massage. She slept deeply last night; the massage must have taken a lot of her tension and stress away. She is very perky this morning, lying on her tummy, ears pricked - waiting for her morning food and pills!

No comments: